There are a lot of ideas that ground and inspire the way we think about feminism. But feminism also requires action. Working toward policy or system change is one way that many people participate in enacting feminist ideas – such as through the many protests we have seen over the past week related to Roe v. Wade. But we can also employ feminist thought through our everyday decisions and interactions.
Here are just a few ideas about how to be a feminist at work:
- Question and change policies and practices that marginalize, exclude, or patronize people based on their identity or group affiliation
- Resist patriarchal ideas such as separation, duality, control, and ordering
- Welcome multiple ways of approaching problems and opportunities
- Create an atmosphere that promotes care, belonging, and healing
- Respect the autonomy and self-determination of people who have different life experiences and perceptions